Laugh lines are not funny, never mind how much fun you had getting them. And as you get older, they become more pronounced. Perhaps you notice rows on your forehead and lines around your lips and you’ve decided it’s time to do something about it. But there are a zillion products on the market and you’re overwhelmed from all the ads and commercials wanting you to try their product.
It’s true that there are a lot of options when it comes to derma fillers, but they’re not all created equal. You should choose a product based on your specific skin condition, the severity of your wrinkles and how long you want the results to last. Here are the most popular products and how they work:
* Collagen: This is a protein that is naturally produced by the body, so it is perfectly safe for use. Human collagen is used in products like Cosmoderm for lines, wrinkles and reducing the appearance of scars. The results last about three months. Collagen is also derived from a bovine source and used in products like Zyderm. Because it is extracted from animals, this product must be allergy-tested before use.
* Fat: Fat from your body is extracted and injected into the sites that need treatment. Liposuction is used to get the fat from the stomach and thighs. Because of its density, it is great for replacing volume in the face and filling in deep lines. Results can last anywhere from three months to a whole year. Because it is fat produced by your own body, it is perfectly safe.
* Hyaluronic Acid: Naturally produced in the human body, this derma filler is safe for use as a lip plumper, for filling fine lines around the eyes and lips, and can be used for fairly deep wrinkles. Some of the products that use hyaluronic acid are Restylane and Juvederm. Because it is a natural substance, when the body absorbs it, there are no adverse effects. The average time for sustained results is six months.
* Hydroxylapatite: This is a denser product combining hydroxylapatite and calcium in a hyaluronic acid gel. This makes it a great derma filler for deep wrinkles and filling in acne scars. Results last longer as well – typically a year. Radiesse is a familiar product that Derma Prime Plus uses this filler.
* Poly-L-Lactic Acid: This product is used for severe loss of fat and tissue in the face. It is used to correct the “hollow” look. The results can last up to two years. Sculptra is a product that uses this type of derma filler.
* Botox: This product is in a category by itself because it is derived from the toxin botulinum. As a result, there is a possibility of complications, unlike the products above which are found naturally in the body. If it is used correctly, and by an experienced physician, it is generally safe for use. It is used for wrinkles around the eyes and brow and results typically last about five months.
Consult with your physician and let him evaluate your skin and your problem areas. He will make recommendations for treating these areas. Depending on the severity, it may take several treatments with the derma filler of your choice to achieve your desired results. But, if you choose an experienced physician and follow his after-care instructions, you should enjoy your results for the maximum amount of time.